Weather Icon 15.7°C Partly Cloudy
Spine Challenger Is Snow Joke
Friday 22nd January 2016 @ 15:16 by Mark Phillip
Glossop Chronicle

Glossop Mountain Rescue Team know they can expect the worst weather imaginable on moorland search missions.

Tim Budd, Patrick Haley and Phil Shackleton experienced it when they took part in the weekend’s Spine Challenger.

Facing them were 108 miles from Edale to Hawes carrying full packs and a time limit of 60 hours.

It turned into an epic battle with driving rain, snow and howling gales, which saw one of the three dropping out exhausted.

Team spokesman Peter Jozefcyzk said: “They set off in good spirits at 7am and soon reached Snake Summit where we had a support vehicle with refreshments.”

Tim, a charted physiotherapist at Glossop’s Global Therapies, was well ahead as they made their way along the Pennine Way towards Crowden.

It was a position he maintained, finishing first in 32 hours and 10 minutes.

Patrick pulled out of the race, after running 55 miles, due to fatigue, but still making the trek a huge achievement.

Phil completed this epic race on Monday afternoon, 56 hours after leaving Edale.

All three runners ran the race to raise team funds, but the final amount is not yet known.

It’s not just people mountain rescue teams pluck off the High Peak moors.

Buxton’s crew had to haul golden Labrador Archie (pictured left) off a rock face on the Monsal Trail.

The family pet was chasing rabbits when he stumbled down a rocky crag. With Archie unable to move, the family called the police who alerted the Buxton team.

Ten members turned out, with one lowered to the crag.

Within 30 minutes, Archie was back with his owners, none the worse for his ordeal.

Team spokesman Ian Hurst said: “Archie was wearing a chest harness – although no climbing helmet.

“He was quickly attached to the rescuer and hauled to safety, unharmed and appeared oblivious to all the fuss.”

Glossop Mountain Rescue Team, meanwhile, was called out twice on Saturday when walkers got into trouble on Bleaklow.

First call out came at 3.15pm after a 51-year-old man from Staffordshire fell when crossing the brook at White Clough.

Team spokesman Peter Jozefczyk said: “We split into two parties: Mobile two went to Mossey Lee Farm and Mobile one was sent to Snake Summit. Both were quick to arrive at the casualty’s location.

“He was treated for an upper left arm/shoulder fracture by medics from Buxton team who were at Glossop base.

“The casualty was carried by stretcher to the waiting ambulance at Mossey Lee Farm.”

The second call-out came when the team was handing over the first casualty to the ambulance crew just after 6pm.

Calls came in that two walkers were lost after a visit to the aircraft crash sites on Bleaklow moor.

A Glossop team made its way to the top of Alport and members of Edale team went from Nether North Grain. The two lost walkers, who were from Birmingham, were located near to Miry Clough and treated for the effects of the cold.
The team was stood down at 9.20pm.