Weather Icon 0.2°C Clear
REPORT Glossop North End slip to surprise Ossett Albion defeat
Monday 12th December 2016 @ 11:30 by Adam Higgins
Glossop Chronicle Sports

Report by Adam Higgins
Pictures by Steve Dyson

Glossop North End slipped to a surprise 2-1 defeat away to lowly Ossett Albion in the Evo-Stik First Division North last Saturday.

Ossett took the lead inside six minutes as a free-kick from Rob Bordman on the left edge of the box drifted all the way in past Hillmen keeper Matthew Cooper.

Chris Willcock’s promotion-chasing side levelled in the second half through an own goal from Ross Hardaker before Bordman found the net again, directly from a corner, to regain Ossett’s lead.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men when Nathan Woodward was dismissed within minutes of coming on from the bench but Ossett, who are hovering just above the relegation zone, held out for a rare home win.

Glossop, without suspended top scorer Jamie Rainford following his recent dismissal against Brighouse Town, made a slow start in front of 156 supporters at Queen’s Terrace.

They fell behind early when Bordman’s inswinging effort evaded the attentions of everyone in the box.

Ossett almost doubled their lead on 12 minutes when Adam Muller fired a shot wide after Cooper saved a free-kick although he was flagged offside.


Rare sight: Goal-scoring opportunities were few and far between for the Hillmen in west Yorkshire

The Hillmen rallied in the second half by putting Albion under severe pressure and a series of corners ended with Ben Richardson being denied from close range by Ossett keeper Jordan Bradshaw.

Eventually the visitors found an equaliser, albeit through good fortune, as Hardaker turned the ball past his own keeper.

But Ossett snatched the lead again and, after Nicky Matthews had a goal ruled out for offside, Bordman was as surprised as anyone when his corner curled into the back of the net in the 62nd minute.

After a series of yellow cards from referee David Jones disrupted the flow of the game, substitute Woodward left Ossett holding on to their lead with a man light after his red card.

Glossop pressed in the closing stages but could not prevent a fifth league defeat of the season, which leaves them sixth in the table – level on 35 points with Clitheroe, who beat Droylsden 2-1 at the Butchers Arms on the same day.

The Hillmen face West Didsbury & Chorlton on Tuesday night at Surrey Street in a Manchester Premier Cup quarter-final (KO 19:45 GMT) before hosting Kendal Town on Saturday in their final game before Christmas.


Ossett Albion: Bradshaw, Dawson, Baldwin, Holt (c), Wells, Hassanyeh, Muller, Harrison, Bordman, Matthews, Hardaker. Substitutes: Bower, Guest, Hunter, Woodward, Souter.

Glossop North End: Cooper, Jacobs, Ali, Kerr, Barnes (c), Griffith, Platt, Reed, Norton, Grimshaw, Richardson. Substitutes: Leonard, Mulholland, Parker, Moran, Hurtley.

Referee: David Jones
Attendance: 156