ROUND-UP Tintwistle Athletic’s weekend action
Monday 23rd January 2017 @ 11:49 by Adam Higgins
Derbyshire Reports Sports Tintwistle

Tintwistle Athletic 1st team booked their place in the final of the Derbyshire Divisional Cup North for the first time on Saturday as they beat Dronfield Town Reserves 2-1.

The match started fairly evenly as both teams struggled to settle and neither midfield could control possession.

Tintwistle looked to play direct – using the pace of Josh Stevenson up front and James Wilson and Chris Rathburn on the wings.

Athletic took the lead after a long ball from the back was flicked on, playing Stevenson through on goal who fired into the top corner with a great finish.

Dronfield equalised soon after as the home defence struggled to deal with a through ball and the Dronfield striker nipped in to lift the ball over the oncoming Tintwistle keeper Ant Rodrigues.

Athletic regained the lead half an hour in, when a throw in from the left was allowed to bounce across the edge of the area and Chris Wyche shot beyond the reach of the Dronfield keeper.

Tintwistle tried to slow the game down in the second half and play on the break as Dronfield looked to play out wide early and cross balls into the box, but the centre back pairing of Ryan McNee and Josh Casulli were resolute in defence.

Stevenson continued to look a threat up front so it came as a surprise when he was played through on goal, rounded the keeper but then shot wide of an open goal, which would have surely finished the game off.

Meanwhile, Tintwistle Athletic Reserves travelled away to AFC Oldham Reserves and continued their winning form. Goals from Sam Swann, Tom Bright, Liam Nolan, Jay Jordan and a screamer from Tim Grahamslaw saw them come away with a 6-3 win.

Tintwistle Athletic Third Team made the short trip to Dukinfield to take on bottom of the table Staly Lions and came away with an eventful 6-4 victory.

Lions took an early lead when a cross to the back post was knocked home by the winger. The breakthrough woke Tinny up to a certain degree, but they still looked slightly laboured in possession.

A neat ball from Mitchell Thomas found George Woods darting into the box, only for his effort to screw just wide of the post

The away side’s frustration grew when a hopeful pass upfield bounced in a dangerous area, the Lions striker finishing with a superb volley into the corner.

Tintwistle got off the mark when some neat work by Billy Greenall fed Mikey Pancaro in the box and his cross was blasted in off the bar by Matt Buckley, before a truly brilliant overhead kick from George Woods made the score 2-1.

But a well-hit strike from distance by the Lions midfielder left the Tintwistle keeper with no chance.

Tintwistle flew out of the blocks after the interval. Their tenacious start was rewarded when some excellent work by Woods played in Thomas, whose precision pass was calmly converted by Mikey Pancaro at the back stick.

Then a cross into the box found its way to the Lions striker, who converted an easy chance and a soft goal for the away side to concede, 4-2.

The danger of the long throw finally paid dividends to give the Blues the quick response they needed. Mitchell Thomas rose above every other player in the box to nod home from close range and haul his side back into the game.

It wasn’t long before they were on level terms too, as a clever ball back to George Woods, the big man making no mistake from 14 yards.

Despite their good football and pretty patterns, it was in fact a long throw by Jay Riley that gave the away side the advantage, a soft goal for Staly to concede as it got deflected in at the back post.

The final nail in the coffin came when Billy Greenall played a decent cross into the box, where man of the match George Woods pulled the ball down and swept home with supreme composure to complete his hat-trick.

Elsewhere, the Under 14’s secured a goalless draw away to league leaders Reddish.

Athletic were unlucky not to come away with a win after an excellent second half performance.

The best chances went just wide, whilst the Reddish goalkeeper made four great saves.

U12’s Yellows won 5-1 on Saturday as a hat-trick for captain Harry and a brace from Aron kept the side joint top.

U12’s Blues also had a great Saturday, winning 5-0 with goals by Ben 2, Liam 2 and Joe.


By Alex Byrom and Billy Greenall