Weather Icon 1°C Clear
REPORT Glossop North End grab late win in Wales
Monday 27th February 2017 @ 15:10 by Adam Higgins
Glossop Chronicle Reports Sports

Report by Adam Higgins
Pictures by Steve Dyson

A late comeback saw Glossop North End end a run of three successive defeats with a much-needed 2-1 victory at Colwyn Bay last weekend.

The Hillmen were behind at the break in north Wales as Danny Bartle put the hosts ahead on the stroke of half-time.

Top scorer Max Leonard drew seventh-placed Glossop level 11 minutes from time before substitute Dale Johnson marked his debut with the winning goal three minutes from time.

It was only a third win in 11 games in all competitions so far in 2017 for Chris Willcock’s side, who moved to within a point of the play-off places with 12 league games remaining.

Double: Glossop North End also beat Colwyn Bay by the same scoreline at Surrey Street earlier in the season

After shipping four against both Farsley Celtic and Radcliffe Borough and going out of the Integro Doodson League Cup to Bamber Bridge, Glossop were desperate to arrest their slide in form.

But it was the Seagulls who were flying from the start at Llanelian Road as Glossop keeper Matt Cooper, recently named their Player of the Month for January, did brilliantly to tip a Scott Bakkor shot onto the crossbar in the second minute.

The Hillmen improved as the first half wore on as Adam Jones saw a header well saved by Colwyn Bay keeper Kieran Wolland before Leonard, Iwan Heeley and new signing Lee Rick went close with efforts at goal.

However, the hosts ended the first half the stronger as Bakkor and former Glossop striker Jamie Rainford, who left Surrey Street four weeks ago, missed the target with efforts before Bartle converted a Danny Andrews cross to put the Welsh side in front.

As the rain began to pour heavily, Colwyn Bay continued to press at the start of the second half and had a penalty appeal waved away by referee David Croft when Bartle went to ground in the box.

Rainford, who was the Hillmen’s top scorer with 18 goals earlier this season, was almost clean through at goal before Cooper raced out of his goal to clear.

Midway through the half, Nicholas Platt and Mark Reed replaced Heeley and captain Mike Norton for Glossop, who started to pile on the pressure.

Controlled: A fine finish by Leonard from the edge of the six-yard box put Glossop on level terms

Leonard did not trouble Wolland with a long-range effort but was inch-perfect as he drew Glossop level in the 79th minute, turning home a Paul Dugdale cross superbly for his 17th goal of an impressive season for him on a personal level.

And, just when both sides appeared to be settling for a draw, Glossop struck again eight minutes later to steal the three points.

After Reed saw an effort cleared off the line by Colwyn Bay captain Sam Barnes, much-travelled striker Johnson was in the right place to latch onto a Martin Parker knockdown across the face of goal and divert the ball into the back of the net from close range to become an instant hero.

It secured the Hillmen another vital away success after their 1-0 triumph at Trafford on February 7 and crucially closed the gap on fifth-placed Clitheroe, who are due to visit Surrey Street on Saturday.

Before attention can turn to that pivotal encounter, Glossop are set to return to action on Tuesday night for their rearranged game at home to bottom-club Burscough.

That will do nicely: Johnson made an immediate impact on his Glossop debut by scoring his first goal for the club within 17 minutes of coming on


Colwyn Bay: Wolland, Turner, Regan, Collins, Grant, Barnes (c), Bakkor, Schofield, Rainford, Bartle, Andrews. Substitutes: Roddy, Booth, Gahgan, Williams, Pino.

Goals: Bartle (45’)

Glossop North End: Cooper, Jacobs, Dugdale, Parker, Jones, Andrews, Heeley, Rick, Norton (c), Leonard, Richardson. Substitutes: Platt, Jones, Johnson, Reed, Hurtley.

Goals: Leonard (79’), Johnson (87’)

Referee: David Croft (Wirral)
Attendance: 209