Weather Icon 13.3°C Partly Cloudy
Fire chief issues warning over bonfire and fireworks
Wednesday 8th November 2017 @ 07:57 by Adam Higgins
Derbyshire News

Derbyshire’s Chief Fire Officer has called for people to take care and consider the dangers of using fireworks in built up areas.

The warning comes after a major house fire in the Littleover area of Derby last Saturday night (November 4), while on Sunday evening (November 5), there were unattended fires in the open in both Gamesley and New Mills.

Chief Fire Officer/Chief Executive Terry McDermott said: “Everyone enjoys the colourful spectacle of bonfire night, but it’s hard to imagine the shock of your home suddenly being hit by a stray firework and the devastation that, in this instance, has been caused.

“I understand that the family will not be able to return to their home for several months, and that really is a tragedy. Not only will the family have to deal with the loss of their possessions, but they will also have to deal with the emotional trauma that comes from such a fire.

“Each year we advocate going to an organised display and we do this to prevent injury to members of our communities, but also, as highlighted by this devastating fire, to prevent damage to property.

“I’d call on anyone who is still considering having a bonfire party to think again and consider attending an organised display. As we approach the Christmas and New Year Party season, I’d also ask people to reconsider setting off fireworks in built up areas, where stray fireworks could potentially cause another devastating fire.”