Colne too good for Hillmen
Monday 27th August 2018 @ 20:14 by Mark Phillip

Evo-Stik West

Glossop 1-4 Colne


Monday’s game kicked off underneath a decisively grey sky and whilst the heavens never opened, Glossop’s players and coaches might have wanted the earth to swallow them up at times.

Just seconds into the game, Colne, playing in yellow, took the lead through Brad Lynch as they capitalised on some mediocre defending and a poor clearance from Hillmen debutant Oliver Thornhill.

Glossop skipper Matty Russell soon received the first booking of the match as he cynically pulled down an advancing Colner on half way.

Colne soon extended their lead. They broke down the left hand side and were allowed to pull the ball back far too easily, leading to a scooped finish that gave Saunders little chance of saving it.  In the run up to half time, the gulf between the two teams got bigger and as Glossop became increasingly sloppy with their passes, Colne became increasingly slick with theirs. Running rings around the hosts down the right flank, Colne managed to bag a third.

Into the second half and new boy Tyrell McKenzie boosted hopes of a revival with a great strike from just outside of the 18 yard box. The goal followed a superb cross field pass from Andy Howarth that was controlled and brought in off the flank skilfully by Will Beesley, the full back claiming the assist.

Any hopes of revival were short lived, however, as a stone wall penalty was duly dispatched by Colne’s Alex Curran not long after Glossop had gained a foothold.

Two further yellows followed for Glossop, one for Healey and one for Davies, with neither player really able to make a case against the official’s decision.

To add insult to injury, Glossop finished the match with ten players as Matty Russell was eventually stretchered off from the sidelines. Mark Canning and Andy Bishop will be hoping it isn’t a long lay off as Russell has been amongst Glossop’s better players in their three defeats from their opening three league games.

Things can only get better. Kidsgrove away on Saturday seems like the perfect place to start.                   

By Culain Wood

Picture: Steve Dyson

In other news, the draw for the first qualifying round of the FA Cup has been made.

If Glossop beat City of Liverpool in the preliminary round replay, scheduled to be played at Surrey Street on Tuesday, September 4, they will travel to the winner of Squires Gate and Droylsden four days later.

The winner of the first qualifying round will recieve a prize fund of £6,000.

Glossop were unable to make their mark in the FA Cup last season, instead falling at the first hurlde with a 2-0 defeat to Mossley at Surrey Street.

Meanwhile, Darrhyl Mason has been named as the Player of the Month for August. The striker has played in every game this season. He initially joined the club in 2017/18 and impressed straight away with his pace, skill and work ethic.