Glossop claim valuable point against high-flying Trafford
Monday 26th November 2018 @ 11:35 by Mark Phillip

Evo-Stik West

Glossop North End 0-0 Trafford


It was the home side who had the first opportunity after 11 minutes. Dominic Marie found space just outside the area but his shot rose over the bar.

Trafford moved the ball around nicely yet credit must be given to Glossop who pressed continuously from the front, not allowing Trafford much time or space on the ball.

Other than a few tame shots late in the first half from Trafford, there were not real clear chances and the first half ended 0-0.

The second half offered more entertainment for the paying fans. Glossop could have gone ahead on 48 minutes, Pete Boyle raced down the right hand side and Glossop found themselves in a 2 vs 1 situation, but Boyle’s pass was short and couldn’t find Marie who was waiting to pounce.

It was then Trafford’s turn to go for goal, danger man Aaron Burns was picked out on the right hand side of the box and from a tight angle could only fire over.

Mitchell Bryant replaced Adam Latham on 65 minutes in Glossop’s first change of the game.

Glossop looked the more likely scorers. Josh Stachini drove a ball towards the edge of the penalty area and Jack Tuohy in acres of space drove a first time effort towards goal which just skimmed the cross bar.

On 76 minutes, Bryant received a straight red card for reacting to a challenge from a Trafford player. The initial challenge was given as a foul however Bryant’s reaction meant he was only on the pitch for 11 minutes.

Glossop were hanging on for the final 10 minutes whilst Trafford sent everybody bar the keeper forward.

Aaron Burns had a volley fall well wide after he was found unmarked just inside the penalty area.

There was a moment of controversy as the game entered added time.

Russell Saunders collected a routine cross but as he collected the cross, was pushed back over the goal line by a Trafford attacker. Referee Ben Atkinson decided to give a goal however credit to his assistant referee who indicated a foul and after consultation between the two, the goal was rightly ruled out.

That was the last action during the game, with Glossop deserving their point after holding on with 10 men.

Matchday Report by Taran Dhamrait
Photograph by Steve Dyson (Olly Thornley has eyes for the ball)