Glossop forced to share the points with Bolton
Monday 26th November 2018 @ 12:42 by Mark Phillip

Lancashire/Cheshire Division One

Glossop 20-20 Bolton


Glossop and Bolton had to settle for a share of the spoils when they met at Hargate Hill on Saturday. Going into the game Glossop sat fourth in the table, with Bolton five points ahead in third, so a close encounter was expected. 

Things started brightly for the hosts, and they raced into a seven point lead within three minutes. A good break in the midfield by Jake Gibson put Glossop on the front foot, and good support play kept the ball alive until it reached Chris Sonczak on the left wing to score his fourth try of the season. Tom Dearnaley landed the conversion, soon followed by a penalty to stretch the lead to 10-0.

The early setback did not affect Bolton, however, and from here they took control of the game. They hit back in just the eleventh minute, a good break out wide was well supported by Bolton centre Alex Waddicar who scored near to the posts allowing for an easy conversion.

Glossop were under pressure and were dealt a further blow when prop Matt Worthington was forced off with a broken hand which unfortunately will see him side-lined until the New Year.

Glossop home defence was not quite functioning as well as they usually do, this was highlighted when Bolton centre Will Bate scored after a simple step back inside, to put the visitors ahead for the first time. The conversion was missed but Bolton were able to stretch their lead further just before half time, when a break down the left wing saw the ball kicked back into midfield for Bolton captain Pritchard to gather and score. Half time 10-17 and things looked ominous for the Hillmen who were not looking forward to having to play into a strong wind in the second half.

Just three minutes after half time things got worse for Glossop when Bolton fly half Mills kicked a penalty to take them into a ten point lead.

From here, Glossop intensified their work rate and began to make inroads into the Bolton half. Rare visits into the Glossop half by Bolton almost resulted in tries for the home team when centre Greg Moran twice intercepted but was stopped short on one occasion and the second saw the final pass fumbled with a try looking certain.

A Dearnaley penalty brought Glossop back to within one score, and finally they did get the try they deserved with only five minutes left to play. Toby Gaskell had come on to the left wing, and it was a great individual effort from him that got the Hillmen back in the game, as he beat three defenders on his way to the try line. Dearnaley held his nerve to land the conversion and tie the game at 20-20. Glossop pushed for the win in the closing stages but the Bolton defence held strong, and the teams had to settle for two points each.

A trip to Merseyside to face Sefton awaits next weekend, and the Hillmen will be keen to get back on track after three weeks without a win.

By Josh Edwards