Weather Icon 15.7°C Partly Cloudy
Hillmen go marching on
Monday 3rd December 2018 @ 09:29 by Mark Phillip

AMD Premier Division

Sefton 15-41 Glossop


The last three games for Glossop have seen them come away with two losses and a draw, so a trip to Merseyside to face an awkward Sefton outfit was hardly going to be a formality, despite their league position just above the relegation zone. 

As it happened, the Glossop Hillmen ran out comfortable winners after a close first half, registering seven tries to the hosts’ two.

Things started brightly for Glossop when patient build up play in the opening five minutes saw the ball moved down the back line from left to right, where winger George Dyson finished well in the corner.

Sefton replied almost immediately with a penalty to reduce the deficit, and soon they took the lead with another penalty, 6-5.

Despite the visitors looking most likely to score the next try, a spilt Glossop pass in the midfield was snapped up by the onrushing Sefton defence, and they shifted the ball to the wing to stun Glossop and take an unexpected six point lead.

Despite this setback, The Hillmen stuck to their task and soon after earned a penalty which was kicked to within five meters of the Sefton line. A well-executed catch and drive saw the pack rumble over the line, with returning Number 8 Dave Stanley getting the score.

Glossop continued to pressurise, and despite trailing by a point they were getting on top of Sefton, who continued to fall foul of the referees whistle. The home team’s indiscipline would see them reduced to fourteen men on two occasions in the first half, both for dangerous tackles. With half time approaching, Glossop got their important third try, which put them ahead. A good line out in the Sefton ‘22 saw harry Moore stopped just short of the line, and with the Sefton defence disjointed, scrum half Jonny Tennant spotted a gap and darted over from close range. 11-15 at the turnaround.

The second half saw Glossop score four further tries as they began to dominate possession, which was key to their victory. Speedy winger Chris Sonczak shot down his left wing to score a try in the corner early in the second half,  well converted by brother Matt. Greg Moran was next on the scoresheet when he intercepted a pass just inside the Sefton half to race away unchallenged, Matt Sonczak again converting.

With Sefton refusing to roll over, they then mounted an attack deep in Glossop territory. As the visiting defence rushed up, the ball was spilt, confusion then followed as it ricocheted over the try line and the Sefton right winger pounced to take the score back to 16-31.

As the final ten minutes approached, Glossop again took control of the game. A deep kick by Matt Sonczak turned the Sefton defence, and the chasing blue shirts put on enough pressure for the ball to be spilt out and hacked on, firstly by Greg Moran and then followed up by Josh Edwards who had the simplest of finishes.

Glossop weren’t quite finished, however, and  in the final moments they mounted an assault on the Sefton line which saw big prop Joe Dearnaley bulldoze his way over to complete a strong personal performance. This proved to be the final act of the match, full time 16-41, and a pleasing result to get the Hillmen back on track. Director of Rugby John Openshaw said after the game  “This was a good win away on the road. History has taught us that Sefton is never an easy place to come, and to come away having scored 7 well worked tries was very pleasing”.

Final score: Sefton 15 Glossop 41

Picture: Dave Stanley scoring a try

By Robert Kenworthy