Weather Icon 15.7°C Partly Cloudy
Glossop share the points with Market Drayton Town
Monday 28th January 2019 @ 11:21 by Mark Phillip

Evo-Stik West

Market Drayton Town 2-2 Glossop North End

Two all is becoming a familiar and frustrating score line for Glossop on the road, with this being the third time they’ve shared the points on their travels this season.

Runcorn Linnets scored two late goals to draw with the Hillmen back in December, whilst Glossop grabbed two late ones of their own against Chasetown in November.

Incidentally, Glossop welcomed Matty Russell back into the fold; it was the returning Glossop captain who scored both of those goals away at Chasetown. 

Russell has been with Runcorn Linnets for just over a month, so with all those coincidences considered, perhaps 2-2 was a predictable scoreline.

 After a largely uneventful opening, the first action of the game was sparked by a Moussa Samassa foul. 

The home players were incensed that the challenge didn’t receive a red card, but a yellow card seemed like a suitable punishment. 

Glossop were wasteful with a string of corners and free kicks but despite just edging things in the play, they went a goal down midway through the first half. A Market Drayton attack wasn’t cleared effectively and they were allowed to get to the byline and square a cross. It was far too easy for Glynn Coney to put his side ahead. 

Dominic Marie found himself in the right place just before the end of the first half, but he squirmed his shot over the bar from close range.  

Glossop went in to the break a goal down, with both teams finding the conditions tricky and Market Drayton having done their best to run the clock down without receiving warning from the officials.

Early in the second half Glossop levelled things up. Similarly to the home side’s goal, they broke down the right and a squared pass was met on the half volley by Pete Boyle. An excellent finish. 

They wouldn’t have to wait long to take the lead. A free kick from wide left was flicked home from Dominic Marie, who had endured a frustrating first half where he saw little of the ball.

Glossop looked like they would survive Market Drayton’s attempts to equalise, with Russ Saunders producing the save of the game, but with 15 minutes left the home side found the breakthrough.

Simon Gregory bundled the ball over the line after a real goal mouth scramble to make the score 2-2.

Glossop finished stronger and looked like they might nick it with a string of corners, but a brave goal line clearance from Market Drayton’s Matt Ballard kept the score level and ensured that both sides left with a point each. 

By Culain Wood